Saturday, December 15, 2012

This Unschool Thing

Okay, time for complete honesty here. We've actually spent about the last year being secret schoolers. By that, I mean, M has been enrolled in preschool while the majority of our friends are unschoolers. I've been drawn to this educational philosophy for a long time. I sought out similar methods for my own higher education. But I was worried about HOW to do this. I mean, what if I fuck my kid up? I've spent the last year building my confidence. Learning that there is no HOW, there is only DO. Getting to know some amazing kids and families who are far from fucked up. Figuring out that my own education has only just begun. I will be learning just as much as from my child as she will from me. We will travel this learning journey together.

We've been out of school for nearly 3 weeks now. M has already declared that she "hates home school". When I ask her what it is that she hates, it's more about what she feels like she's going to miss out on. Most importantly, riding the bus BY HERSELF. Isn't it enough that we ride the city bus, on which she gets to stand up, switch seats, and pull the cord when she wants to get off? As a kid who rode the school bus for 10 years, I can tell you, it's miserable. Sit still, and where you're told, be quiet, get your hair pulled by the kid behind you. I guess it's the appeal of the unknown.

So, what have we been doing? Hanging out. Getting used to being together all the time. Making ornaments for a handmade ornament swap party (that we hosted). Decorating a gingerbread house. Swimming. Taking yoga classes. Reading Magic Tree House books. Visiting the library. Watching Curious George and Wild Krats. Listening to Pippi Longstocking on audio book. Having dance parties. Shopping local and less. Having dinner out with friends. Playing Pac Man. Hand sewing. Tracing M's body. Drumming. Singing. Rock wall climbing. Learning to tie shoes. Watching way too much My Little Pony. Forming letters and sounding out words. Painting. Drinking hot chocolate. Looking at Christmas lights. Asking questions, and figuring out this path together.

No comments:

Post a Comment