Now, I haven't done many projects with patchwork in the past. It seems to me, you have to be absolutely meticulous in your cutting and stitching, and while I am a bit of a perfectionist, I'm just not THAT perfect. Anyway, once I collected all the patches from the kiddos, and made a couple to represent students who were previously in the class but who had moved, I laid them out on the floor in the order I wanted.
After I had my layout, I started sewing pairs, going across. Then I sewed two pairs together, and then sewed each row together. I think that's the way patchwork works. That method worked pretty well for me, anyway. There is only one mistake and I'm pretty sure no one noticed.
Here are some of my favorite squares:
Originally, I backed the aprons with the same denim, but found they were way too heavy. I picked up some quilters cotton in the teacher's favorite colors to make a waistband and ties. That worked much better. Here they are, folded and ready to give to their teachers.
I wanted the kids to give the aprons at their graduation. Then they could all see their teachers reactions, and show them their squares. Rather than waste wrapping paper, I just folded the aprons so that the patchwork was inside and tied them with pretty coordinated ribbon.
I think they went over pretty well!
Thank you, Miss Betsy and Miss Michelle for a super year! We will miss preschool, but will see you around the museum!
Gratuitous Graduation Shot.